Friday 28 December 2007

This was emailed to me by my homie and comrade in techno-wizardology, Erik Kianfar. Hey man, In response to your blog, About the part about calling it Xmas. I'm not sure if this is 100 percent correct but I learned it in World Religions class. So I hope it is. The X in Xmas actually means Christ in Greek or Roman or whatever language it was. So technically, writing Xmas is in whatever way you want to look at it, more correct than writing Christmas. What do you think? I think a couple of things, first of which is that saying its more correct is inaccurate, its just a different language. And secondly that even though that may be true most folk don't know that, that is why the joke in futurama works. It's seen as a less formal (false as that assumption may be) way of referring to this time of year. I suppose the point I'm really making is that if people did learn that Xmas was actually a reference to Jesus in itself, they'd find another way of referring to Christmas in a... I can't think of the right word, but less spiritually aware sense. Is that in any way cogent, I've just been in the car for 4 hours and I'm replying off the cuff so to speak but I'm sure you know what I mean.

No comments: