Wednesday 27 December 2006

Pool; the game of kings played by ruffians.

I keep thinking about how good it'll be to see my brother again and work in the Bell table and go cruisin' with my peoples but I still can't seem to make the idea of leaving Haifa forever feel right in my head. I know if I stay I'll just be delaying the inevitable beginning of my life and actually starting what I hope will be a cool career and serving in other capacities, I mean... I want to do all these things but they all come with the price of not being here, in this place and, at least I'd like to believe, at this time. We go play pool here like a million times a week, and on nights when the world and his girlfriend don't show up, we get a decent few hours of stress free pool in, in a nice place and with good people. The folk who run the place freaking love us, and not just because of all the money we tank in that spot, but because we talk to them and because we don't get shitty if something goes wrong. I told the guy who owns the place that I was leaving in February and he invited me up to play a few games with him and to have a drink on the house, I just hope he gets the fact that we don't drink alcohol, because I don't want him to get offended if I turn down a tasty glass of good whiskey, middle eastern folk are very proud of their hospitality and I like the guy a lot, not enough to go back on my beliefs but enough to feel hella bad about not taking what is still a nice gesture either way you look at it. The place is big and bright and has good security on the door in a lovely part of the city, and they make damn good chips to boot. It was a great feeling when me and Clorin went up there one night and I had my huge backpack on and the as I get to the door, I open it so the security dude can check me and he just says (in Hebrew) "No no, you guys are good; Welcome." with a huge grin on his face. How many bouncers in Ireland treat you like that, unless you know them really well, any one who went to Quinn's back in the days knows what I mean. Another long and whingey post but I'm in a whingey place right now and when I think of not hitting the pool hall with Clorin and Kiva and Ryan any more it just makes me kinda... I dunno, sorry I kept to myself for the first few months of my time here. All I can say is look out Mardyke ( fantastic pool hall in Cork) I'm comin to get ya. I'm telling ya John, Lounge music! Its the soundtrack to the revolution.

1 comment:

liamk said...

hey mate,I remember the doormen at Quinns as well as half the punters, scar bunch! Big regret of mine that we weren't serving there together at the same time, but no worries. Enjoy the last of your there,I feel bad for the people who have to say goodbye too you...their loss and Irelands game. How about we meet up and spend some time together this summer? with love, your bro, Liam